This morning we get up like any other morning. We heard some loud popping noises and just figured it was a transformer. We hear those a lot. I'm getting ready to make the girls breakfast and Ryan says he's got to go, he's going to be late for work. So he gives me a kiss and opened the door. Then I hear him say, "Holy Shnikeys!" Yes, I know. He said Shnikeys. I'm thinking a branch fell on our car. Then I look outside and see snow!!! And it's not just a little thin layer of snow. It's a lot of snow and still snowing pretty hard. Kaelyn saw it and wanted to go outside and play in it. So Ryan is calling work and they tell him to wait at home and they would let him know if he needed to come into work. So we get the girls all bundled up. We don't have snow suits, so we just had to layer them. Kaelyn and I went out and built a snowman. Ryan gets a call saying he needed to come into work. What!!! They wanted him to drive in the snow. Well we are from Louisiana and we aren't used to driving in snow. We might see snow only a few times in our lifetime. And when it does snow, it turns to mush very quickly. I saw a bulldozer being used to clear the roads! I don't think you can find a snow plow in the south. So anyway. We had to be careful not to go under any trees when we were playing. We could hear tree branches fall all around. We had about three fall on our house (and these aren't small branches) And we watched some fall too. They couldn't handle the extra weight from the snow. We could hear transformers blowing all around us. It was a little freaky. Our satellite was covered in snow and I had to clean it off to we could get a signal. I don't imagine satellite is very popular where it snows a lot. Our power eventually did go out at about 9am and came back on at 12:30pm! We were starting to get pretty cold. I was about to grab the kids and get in the van with the heater on and let them watch a movie. Kaelyn and I had to eat MRE's for lunch. Yuck! I didn't have anything that we could just eat. So we were getting pretty hungry. And I didn't have any breakfast with all the excitement going on. It stopped snowing at about 10am when it turning into icy rain, then just rain. It's already melting. The little drizzle of rain made all the snow fall of the trees. So now it doesn't look so pretty anymore. I was getting sick of it after a while. I just wanted my electricity back on. It was miserable. The funny part about all this was that a couple of days ago I commented on Laura's snow pictures and said that I wanted snow, but wanted someone to clean out my drive way with it. I got the snow, but not the snow shoveler. I have only ever seen it snow in Louisiana two other times. When we were kids in 1989 (the only reason why I know that date is from all the new coverage from this morning) and on Christmas day in 2004 and it was Kaelyn's first Christmas! But I've never seen it snow this much! Sorry for all the duplicate pictures. I was trying to compare as it kept snowing. In fact all our foot prints from the first time we went out had disappeared in about an hour. Plus it was just too pretty not to take all these pictures.
7:14AM
I was starting to take pictures before this but after I took a million I realized my memory card wasn't in my camera. Oops!
Morgan was not at all interested in the snow. She was actually terrified of it. Every time I would open the door to look at it she would cry.
So I put her in it anyway.
This is bamboo. It is usually standing strait up.
One of the branches that fell on the house. Watch how much snow actually ends up on it!
Six inches at 8:50AM
7 inches at 9:29AM! That's an inch in 40 minutes. And it was probably less than that. It never got higher than this. This is when the snow turned into sleet (I think that is the correct term).
There are more pictures, but it's getting late. I'll post more tomorrow.
[I went back and changed the spelling of snow in the title. I stole the idea from Kaycee!]






5 comments:
Cool pictures!! I can't believe you got all that snow! That's more than we've had here in Utah!
I love the picture when you were talking about Morgan and how you 'put her in it anyway! =)
Crazy!
Wow thats real snow!! How fun!! I'm proud of you and Kaelyn for making a snowman! Poor Morgan, too Southern to know snow can be fun.
-Christy
That's a lot of freaking snow. That's more than we got. That's more than I saw on the news anywhere. I am jealous. It was quite the depressing snow day for me. I had no one to share it with. Ryan was at work at our nephew lives in Alaska, so he didn't seem too thrilled about it. Bummer.
Oh and the thing with Morgan being terrified of the snow, that's how Weeny reacted. He was so excited to go downstairs to go potty,and when I opened the door, he turned around and ran back towards the stairs. But I put him in it anyway.
Wow! you got more snow than we've gotten in Utah so far! I'm so impressed. We're getting a HUGE storm coming in this weekend though, so it won't take us long to catch up. What a fun experience!
Post a Comment