Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I HATE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS!!!

Yeah, I know, bah humbug! I love looking at them, but I've been trying to put some on our house for a week now. And I don't have that many! Ryan is having a hard time doing it because by the time he gets home, it's dark. And we've been trying to do in on Saturdays, but iwe've been busy. We buy some nails and on Tuesday I finally decide to start and hang a few on the window and over the carport. Wednesday I decide to do it while Morgan and Jack were napping, which is only a small window to begin with. First thing... I set my nails on top of the van and after the first or second nail, the entire box of nails falls into a pile of leaves! So I sit on the ground picking out all the nails, time wasted. Then I realize, I'm not going to have enough lights to go across the entire house. I only have one left and either Morgan or Jack woke up. Then it snows the next day and I couldn't go out and do it Friday because I was busy with Morgan's party. Friday night Ryan took the van to bring the youth to a dance and then I realized that my nails were on top of the van. Bye Bye nails! So I finally go to Walmart today, by myself with a four year old, two year old and four month old. Not fun! I get some more nails and I grab a box of lights to help extend to the end of the house (which I really didn't have the money for). I go to check out and Morgan is screaming and I think Jack was crying (can't remember, but he was crying throughout the store) and guess what! The box of nails that I picked up had been opened and there was no barcode! Of course! And do you think the cashier felt sorry for me with three small kids and tried to get another box of nails for me? Yeah right. That would mean a Walmart employee gave good customer service! Can't ruin that reputation. So I go home with no nails. One of the few things I went to Walmart for in the first place. So I get home and I some how use what nails I did have that were in my jacket pocket. And the lights still didn't reach to the other end of the house, but it was close enough. But now I can't figure out how to hook of the lights to an outlet. We have no outside outlets and Ryan has a cord he rigged from the attic, so that is the only one I have. If I want to hook up the lights, I have to stretch that cord all the way across the house and I don't know if it will reach. So I don't know what I'm going to do. I think I'm just going to take them all down and throw them away and our house will never have lights on it! I know, I'm a scrouge!

5 comments:

Kristine said...

Oh, you're such a bad mommy!!! J/K. Seriously, that's one of the things that I dread when we get a house. . .decorating for Christmas. I feel your pain.

April Hardy said...

sounds like quite the ordeal. and much more work than it's worth. the surrounding neighborhoods here aren't as decorated as we thought they would be. Maybe a 1/4 of the homes have lights. Seems everyone is cutting back where they can.

Momma_S said...

Have you ever heard the song " The 12 Pains of Christmas"? One of the pains is rigging up the lights. I totally feel your pain!! We still don't have lights on our tree. But don't let the lights win. You have to show them year after year who is boss!! That is you by the way!!

Cindy Ardis said...

Wow! Good for you for trying. If Faren didn't put up our lights we wouldn't have any. I think you were very brave, but what an ordeal. I don't blame you for hating them.

Terrence and Laura said...

This is exactly why I'm glad I rent!