Saturday, September 27, 2008

A video you need to see!


I never really cared about the gay marriage issue. I didn't really understand how it would effect my family. I'm not for it, but I always thought there were far more important issues that needed to be addressed. My thought was that making gay marriages illegal wouldn't stop people from being gay. I didn't realize I would have to talk to my 4 year old about it. It just goes to show how important it is to teach your values in your home and how important family home evening is. A long time ago I was driving past this catholic church, and on their billboard it said, "Just because it's legal, doesn't make it right." I think that is something we all need to be teaching to our children if you are not already, no matter what the the issue is.

3 comments:

Terrence and Laura said...

Oh my goodness! That makes me so sad. I didn't realize it would have to be taught as normal and healthy if a law were passed to protect it. I don't want my children growing up with hate and malice towards homosexuality, but I don't want them to think it's okay either. Thanks for sharing!

April Hardy said...

This is such a hard topic for me, while I feel the same as you, it doesn't affect my family. In a sense it does. There is an official statement from our general authorities stating that marriage is between a man and a woman. Kids, even at 4 apparently, can get confused because here we have a statement it's not right for same-sex marriage but the government trying to push for it to be ok. I have gay friends, and greatly respect them for they are amazing people and do wonderful things. But do I really want Autumn, when she is in grade school, going to school activities and functions and seeing her classmates/friends holding hands with two dads and two moms? That's where it affects my family.

April Hardy said...

That was supposed to say two dads OR two moms...