Saturday, January 10, 2009

Sleep Deprived

Jackson is almost five months now. He is still not sleeping through the night. He was starting to about a month and a half ago, but he got sick and hasn't slept through since. Last night he went to bed at 7PM, woke up at 11pm (we normally go to bed at 10, but stayed up late to finish the 3rd season of The Office, so it wasn't that bad) and he woke up at 3AM and 5AM! He's finally taking better naps during the day though. About 1 1/2 to two hours at a time. He used to take only 45 minute naps. Does anyone know how to get a baby to sleep through the night or know of any books or websites I can go to? We were doing the cereal thing until he was 3 months and when we stopped it, that was when he started sleeping through the night. And we've tried to go back to it, but doesn't like it anymore. We've tried ignoring him and it doesn't work! I want a full night's sleep!!! Help me!

7 comments:

Christy said...

I attended a training by sleep expert Jodi Mindell a while back. Her book is appropriately called, "Sleeping Through the Night", and I read that when I first had Parker. Helped a lot! Good luck!

Terrence and Laura said...

Kylie started sleeping through the night at 7 weeks old. But...then she got sick at six months and we struggled for the next 4 months till my Pediatrician suggested the sleep separation method. After a few horrible nights, she finally started to sleep:)

the Getschers said...

This sounds horrible, but let him cry! We let Ethan cry when he was about 7-8 months, he cried for a few nights for a loooong time but after a few nights, he was done and has slept through the night ever since.

April Hardy said...

What worked for me was a book called BabyWise. It's hard to find and I had to borrow it and then bought one off EBAY. When I was pregnant with Autumn 3 women in my moms ward recommended it to me. They had each had over 5 kids and said they found the most success with this book. And just random other women that I would talk to would recommend it and a lady in my ward bore her testimony about it (it was strange, but I was happy she had found relief in her baby sleeping through the night.) Some people will tell you it's too strict, but it does allow you to be flexible. I was really strict, and followed the schedule it recommended and everything else it talked about. It really paid off. When Autumn was 6 weeks old she was sleeping 6 hours a night, at 8 weeks she was sleeping 10 hours a night and by 12 weeks she was sleeping 12 hours and has done that ever since.
I like how your friend mentioned they let Ethan cry. I have heard of other people doing that and after a few nights the baby gives up and just sleeps. The baby figures out he can make it through the night.
I am so sorry! Good luck.

Kristine said...

I've been doing a lot of reading about this, and I heard great things about BabyWise. However, I have to say I am not a fan of "letting them cry" method. Infants cry for a reason, and don't know how or understand the concept of self soothing. But. . . I don't have my baby yet, and who knows, I may get frustrated and that may be the only option. All babies are different.

Kerrie said...

Noelle,

Sleep is different. Yes, you shouldn't let your baby cry, and cry sitting in their swing or in the play pen. But babies don't know how to put themselves back to sleep and if you keep going to pick them up when they cry then they won't learn. I've also heard that if your baby wakes up screaming, it means they didn't get enough sleep. But I would never let a newborn just cry and cry. I've found that about two months they can start learning to put themselves to sleep. When they wake up when you put them down in their beds. That was my cue and I stopped rocking them to sleep. Last night, Jack cried for two hours! We finally picked him up and fed him.

Parkinson Family said...

i hope it gets better, it usually takes my babies til a year to sleep through the night, so no advice from me :) they would usually always wake up once a night to eat, good luck!