Thursday, December 10, 2009

What a "Great" Welcome to the Mid West Winters!

It snowed all day on Tuesday. It never really fell that hard, but it didn't stop until after we went to bed that night. Kaelyn is on her 3rd day off of school today. Ryan was off of work yesterday. It's nuts! I'm glad I let the kids play in it on Tuesday. I originally wanted them to wait until it stopped snowing, but they started to get their snow gear on, so we just let them. Good thing, because it's been way too cold to let them play outside yesterday and today. This morning we woke up to -7 degrees, but it felt like -23! My sister was telling me that its not even that cold in Alaska today!

Our garage in the backyard.

Kaelyn's "fort"

The playhouse

Morgan's bike

Ryan got the car stuck in the alley behind the house!


This is what we woke up to Wednesday morning. I think officially we had a blizzard, so the winds pushed the snow around a lot and the snow was thicker in some areas than others. It made really cool ripples in the snow.

The view from our front door.

The side of the house.


It was only this high because of the wind. But we still had to shovel through all this!
Our front yard is built up and this is by the steps. This gives you a pretty good idea of how much snow fall we had.
Down the street to the left.
A little note for Ryan for when he came back in from shoveling snow.


Backyard view from the garage
.
The view into the alley after we opened my side of the garage. This was not fun to shovel
.Ryan's side
.

We've been told this is not normal. Normally this area only gets 3-4 inches at a time. I think we got about a foot.

7 comments:

April Hardy said...

I think most of the country is seeing abnormal amounts of cold weather, we have. And in the high country of AZ (where Drews family lives) they got 20-26 of snow in a couple of days. That's very unheard of. They usually get one good snow storm a year and then it snows off and on...they nver anticipate that much snow.

Kristine said...

It's very pretty. It looks powdery.

Terrence and Laura said...

You can put both cars in your garage? How cool is that? I'm glad the kids are loving it. My kids play outside everyday with snowball makers. They pile dozens of them into their sled and pull them around to throw at people. What punks!

Heather said...

How fun! We didn't even have that much snow on our vacation to New Mexico over Thanksgiving. I think it would be awesome for a few days, but not sure if I could handle that all winter. LOVE snow, but hate the cold. It use to get crazy cold like that in Rexburg, ID when I went to Ricks and I thought I would die. Hope you guys are having fun & have a Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

TO MUCH WORK FOR RYAN-YALL NEED TO COME HOME....TELL HIM HE NEEDS TO FIND A SNOW BLOWER WILL MAKE HIS LIVE A LITTLE EASYER AND WONT BREAK HIS BACK

PATSY

Cindy Ardis said...

That looks beautiful, but really cold. I love it. Thanks for the cool pictures the kids looked like they loved it.

J and S Garcia said...

UMMMMM....no thank you lol!! It is pretty but does not look like fun drivng!!!