Thursday, November 6, 2008

Kaelyn's Learning to Read!

I'm starting to teach Kaelyn to read today. My friend Toni used this book to teach her little girl, Annie, how to read (Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons). Annie is only a few months older than Kaelyn, and from her blog, I think she's a pretty good reader. She's reading books on a 3rd grade level! I tried to teach Kaelyn a few months ago, but if I had to correct her more than twice she would say it was too hard and wanted to quit. So I stopped and whenever she did something that was hard, but kept at it and did it, I would make a big deal how she never gave up and she did it. I started it again today and we actually finished the first lesson without whining! So hopefully she'll be able to do it and that I will have the patience to do it. I'm so excited. She's wants to read so bad. My goal is to have her reading by February. After she's got the hang of the lessons and I know she can do it, I might start doing two lessons a day to make sure I reach my goal.
I've read nothing but good things about this book. Barnes & Noble had a lot of customer reviews on their website for it and none of them were negative. In fact, all of the customers rated it five out of five stars! The lessons only take 15 to 20 minutes a day! And it's tells you exactly what to say to your child. So if you are a horrible teacher like I am, this is definitely the book for you. One review warned that if it takes longer than 30 minutes to complete a lesson, your child is not ready. And it's not expensive at all. At the most it costs $15, but I think it's a little less than that. I'll keep y'all posted on how she's doing and if any of you decide to do it, let me know how y'all are doing!

Wish me luck!
(If I can get my scanner to work I'll post a sample lesson so y'all can see it. But you can go to Barnes & Noble's website and they have a sample lesson up.)
[My sister has reminded me about copyright laws, so I posted a link to it here. It's doesn't show you everything about the lesson though. In the book it has what you are supposed to say in red, what to do in parenthesis, and what your child is supposed to say in black. And how to correct in a box. And they don't have the pictures, so when they say point to mmm, you are not going to see the "m" to point to]

8 comments:

Kristine said...

I wouldn't scan the page and post it. I think amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com will let you see an excerpt of the page. Also, I'm blogging now, put me on your list.

Christy said...

I didn't think about it till I read Noelle's comment, but yeah, you could get in trouble for copyright or something.

But I was going to say that's awesome!! I love hearing about things parents are doing, and not expecting schools to teach their kids everything. You can do it! Good luck!

Kaycee said...

another good book to use is "Teaching Your Child to Read with the Book of Mormon." That's how my mom taught 3 of my brothers.

Kerrie said...

Oh yeah, I didn't think of that. Thanks for helping avoid a lawsuit!

Aimee Garber said...

That's awesome! How soon can you start teaching them? I've been working with Kennedy with this preschool workbook.

Kerrie said...

The book says "a very bright 3 1/2 year old and any average 4 and 5 year old." I imagine they have to be really smart at 3 1/2. I think Kaelyn is pretty smart and things do come easily for her, but it was hard for her. My friend's little girl knew her shapes and colors at just over a year (I think, but she did know them early) and knew how to count objects (a little harder than just counting to ten), and her letters at about a year and a half. And she didn't do anything special so she could learn those things. Annie picked them up as Toni read to her. That is the kind of "bright" they are talking about. I wouldn't try unless you know she's ready and she's showing an interest.

Maxwells said...

Hey, good luck. I am sure Kaelyn will do great. I have been doing Benjamin off and on now for a couple of months (because moving has taken alot of my time up), he's on lesson 25 and he is not 3 yet. I think as long as the kid knows their alphabet and has a really good attention span it works (well and a piece of candy at the end might help). I started a chart with Benjamin, instead of doing candy we put a sticker for every day he does it and at the end of the week Barnes and Nobles has a reading group on Fridays, so I will let him pick a book out to buy if he's done all his lessons that week. That way it helps the goal along. I love that book though, although it takes a little longer than 20 minutes with Benjamin.

Parkinson Family said...

good luck!