Thursday, May 15, 2008

Why do people have to be so inconsiderate?

Last night we had some pretty nasty weather. Ryan had to drive home in some of it on his way home from work and he heard reports of hail so when he got home he parked the car on the side of the carport, which sits kind of low, so the trees could help protect it from hail. After he gets home, it starts raining extremely hard. And the lightning was crazy, so we went around the house unplugging everything. We check outside and noticed the water on the side of the house is getting high, so Ryan decides to move the car. The water was only about an inch from the bottom of the car. After about 10 minutes our entire front yard and back yard is completely covered in water and our shed is flooded. Then maybe 10 minutes after that, the carport was covered in water. We started getting things ready to pick up off the floor and up on beds just in case the water started to get in the house. We don't have flood insurance. Kaelyn is terrified of thunder and she was sitting on the couch hugging her new unicorn saying she didn't want her unicorn to get wet. We forget she is old enough to listen to us and understand what we are saying when we talk about things like this. We had to put Morgan to bed early because she was crying and I think she was just feeding off our stress. We got a little water through our front door, but that was just because of the idiots driving down our flooded street and pushing it in. I've never understood that. When I'm watching the news of flooded neighborhoods, I see people trying to keep water out of their homes and idiots are driving down the street pushing the water right back in. And what's aggravating about our street is that there is barely anything on it. There are just a few homes and a few businesses including the national gaurd (none of which cause much traffic) and the rest is pretty much vacant land. And there were a million cars driving down our street, some of which were speeding. There needs to be some kind of law preventing people from driving down flooded streets in neighborhoods. We were lucky though. Another half hour of rain and it would have come in the house. The news this morning said we got 4-5 inches of rain in an hour. I'll be calling around for flood insurance this week!

3 comments:

LCFrohm said...

Oh my heck! That's crazy!
Sorry the jerks decided to drive up your street.
But seriously, why wouldn't you get flood insurance? Especially where ya'll live - it seems silly not to.

Kerrie said...

This area has never flooded (or so we have been told). We were eventually going to get it, but now we think we better hurry up with that.

Terrence and Laura said...

Holy cow! I forgot how bad it gets there, but I've never seen that. I would be freaking out too!