Thursday, February 26, 2009

Matisse's "Funeral"

I know it's been almost three weeks since Matisse died and no we didn't just bury her this week. I'm just a little late on this. That day Matisse died, Kaelyn found a Lisa Frank cat coloring book and colored the first picture of a cat that she saw. She said she colored it for Matisse. I asked her if she wanted to bury her with it and she said yes. She turned the page around and noticed that the cat on the other side looked a lot like Matisse. I suggested she color it just like her and tried to find the right color crayons in the big pile of broken crayons. Before Ryan got home, I tried to dig a hole in the backyard as far as I could. We were leaving to go to his Dad's house right when he got home and I didn't want to leave her out for another day. When Ryan got home, he dug it a little deeper. Kaelyn was feeling a little upset so I took her the front yard to pick a few azaleas to bury Matisse with. The girls wanted to pet her one last time (don't worry, we washed their hands immediately after). And then we buried her. Kaelyn did not want to go back into the house. She said that Matisse was going to be all alone and she didn't want to leave her. That broke my heart. She cried off and on all day that day. I had a huge headache and laid down earlier that day and she came up and cuddled with me, "I miss Matisse." Now she is saying that she wants to get another cat and name it Matisse because she loves that name.

3 comments:

Cindy Ardis said...

That's so sad, I hope you are all feeling better. It's hard to loose a pet.

Judy said...

I definitely know what you guys are going through. It must be even harder when your pet lives inside with you. I think you can probably remember the day my dog died and you had called over here. We left for vacation the next day, but it was just an empty space when we got back.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. We lost our cat Moe about a year ago to feline AIDS. It was very devastating. He was a wonderful cat, too... just like Matisse. Callie handled it surprisingly well at the time, but a year later she still talks about him. I guess we never forget. Again, I'm sorry. I hope everything else is well with your family.