Thursday, May 21, 2009

Frugal Tip: Homemade Stain Remover

I got this recipe from my mom a while back. I didn't post this sooner because I wasn't sure how I liked it yet. Until last week. One of Jack's blankets got caught up in our van door as it was opening. It had grease all over it. I kept forgetting to wash it. Three or four weeks later I finally wash it. I sprayed it with the stain remover and scrubbed it with an old toothbrush (I've found that scrubbing with a toothbrush is needed even for the best of the store bought stain removers). I washed it and viola! It was clean! You can't even tell grease was all over it! So now I'm convinced that this stuff really works. Here's the recipe:

1 cup water
1 cup ammonia
1 cup dish soap (my mom suggest Dawn "it gets the grease out." If you use the concentrated kind you can use half a cup)

My mom said something about adding the soap last or something last because it will bubble up. I don't remember. I quadruple it and put it all in a gallon jug, so it doesn't matter to me. A little warning: This stuff really stinks! Sometimes I have to take a break from pre treating.

3 comments:

the Getschers said...

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks so much for the recipe! I've checked out stain removers before online but have never been brave enough to try them out. I'm excited to try it!

Heather said...

Aren't moms great! My mom told me about this recipe too, And I love it! Bryce left a purple crayon in his pocket. It went through the washer fine, but really bad when it hit the dryer. The whole load of cloths had purple melted on it. I washed the whole load with a cup of this stuff & it all came out. I then put the stuff on a rag & washed my dryer out. It was awesome!

Ronnie said...

I really can't wait to try this one.

I just wanted to say that we are really going to miss you all. You and Bishop have been an inspiration to our whole ward. It has never been more true than in this instance that God's ways are not our ways. We wish your family would never move.

I saw one of the youth crying at church today about you all moving and I admit that I cried too. May Heavenly Father bless you in this time of transition and please let us know what we can do to help.