Saturday, March 21, 2009

My House's Drunk Driving Accident

Well there was a few other things I would have liked to be blogging about right now, like our zoo trip today and coming home to find a bird in our house. But no. Tonight, Ryan and I were sitting in our living room watching TV and we hear this boom. We just blew it off. Another accident on the corner of our street. It happens quite often. Then we hear another boom that sounded like it was in front of our house. We run outside and we see this truck in our front yard up against our house! We have no idea how this guy ended up in our yard so far from where the original accident happened. We live near the corner of a busy street. There is a house on the corner, then his backyard (which is a pretty decent size yard), then it's our house. It's like we live three houses from the corner. My mom seems to think he was trying to drive away, but then lost control. He hit right in between our bathroom and Jackson's room. And Jackson was sleeping right on that wall. His crib is up against the bathroom wall. It didn't even wake him up. And it's a good thing the girls didn't give us any trouble going to bed like they normally do, so we could deal with this nonsense. It happened shortly after they were put to bed. They arrested the guy for drunk driving and we were just patiently waiting for the truck to be moved. We were pretty sure there was no damage except to our hose and the holder that hung on the wall. They back it up and there is a big dent in our house and cracks that go up the wall. I was a little upset. But I know it could have been a lot worse. I was just thinking either yesterday or the day before how a co-worker of mine several years ago had a car drive straight into her house. But her house was perpendicular to the street the kids were driving on. And I was thinking that could never happen to our house because of our location. Well, I guess I was wrong! Oh and this guy just barely missed Ryan's car. It was parked in the yard. Maybe I can get my whole house painted out of this deal. It's going to look funny if they just paint that one spot. Sad to say, drunk driving has been a problem in our town. Not that long ago, a guy was walking home from the hospital after his wife just had a baby and was hit by a drunk driver and killed. And not long before that 5 students were crossing the street coming from the university and all were hit by a drunk driver. 3 or 4 of them were killed. I'm sure this is a big problem every where though.
See that big dirty spot on the house. That is where the hose was hanging. That is where the dent is and then in the other pictures you can see the cracks. As far as we know this is the only damage.

I just thought of something! A sobriety test was done in our driveway. That seems a little weird!

10 comments:

April Hardy said...

Oh my gosh!! How scary! It could have been so much worse...count your blessings. Hopefully that is all the damage, and nothing surfaces in the next few years.
I totally wouldn't know what to do, I take you filed a police report...but what happens next? Does homeowners insurance cover the damage or his car insurance? Wow! So sorry Kerrie.

Kerrie said...

The owner's car insurance should take care of it. Ryan called his insurace company tonight. The thing is he will have a limit on how much his insurance will pay. So if the damage cost more that he is covered, then we are responsible for the rest. Hopefully it will be fully coverd.

Terrence and Laura said...

Good thing he has insurance! I'm so sorry what a mess!!! I vote that you get the whole house painted. I'll cross my fingers for that. At least one blessing could come from this trial right?

Ingrid said...

Kerrie! This is horrible, but at least you and your family are safe!!! My goodness! I sure hope that the drunk driver's insurance pays for the damage and can fix the crack in the wall. Will it affect your foundation at all?

Kerrie said...

Ingrid, I'm not sure. Hopefully it will all be inspected. But hopefully I can get my homeowner's insurance to handle the inspections and the repairs, but still have the car insurance pay for it. I'm afriad the car inurance will blow it off as nothing serious and just fill in the cracks.

Anonymous said...

Mmm. You might consider a lawyer if the insurance company doesn't play nicely.

I'm sorry this happened! With all the accidents around here lately, I would think that Edwards would step up the patrols or something. Let me know if I can do anything for you.

-Misty

Kristine said...

And I thought I had bad luck. I'm glad everyone's okay, and that you were able to laugh about it last night. I imagine you didn't sleep well though. I know I wouldn't have.

Aimee Garber said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad everyone's okay!!

Christy said...

I wonder how fast he was going, I can't believe he "dented" your house. Not knocked out part, but "dented" it. I hope you get more than a cracks filled and a paint job out of it!

Parkinson Family said...

thats crazy, glad you guys are okay though!