Sunday, March 29, 2009

More Bad News

Like Ryan has been saying, "When it rains, it pours." Last week a drunk driver hit our house and there is more damage than originally thought. There are cracks on the walls in Jackson's room and the bathroom and the grout is cracking in the tile in the bathroom. And today we've noticed cracks in the brick in the back of the house which might suggest foundation damage. But now we have even more drama going on. Ryan lost his job on Friday. It really sucks. He was totally blind sighted. Sales are way up and he had no idea his job was on the line. They decided to get rid of his position all together. Just rich people getting greedy if you ask me. I had called him that morning to tell him our tax refund was deposited and he sounded really bummed. So I finally got it out of him. Kaelyn noticed I was crying and she patiently waited for me to get off. She never waits for anything. I told her what happened and she said the sweetest thing, "Now Daddy can stay home all day with us!" So I started to explain what losing his job meant. It took a while for her to understand that even though we have a home, we are still paying for it. She finally understood and her thought went quickly to, "Now we can't save money for Disney." She's been saving her money for Disney for a year now. It was a way to get her to understand we needed more that a dime to go. I told her that her money needed to be to the top before we could go. Friday, my mom gave her some change and I told her I would put it in the jar and she kept telling me to put it in the big pink bank. She kept saying it over and over. I guess she thought now that daddy didn't have a job, that I would steal her money. Oh, and before Ryan got home she said she wanted to make a card for him. And she went to get a teddy bear out of her room and gave it to me and told me it would make me feel better. She has a knack for knowing when people are upset and tries to make them feel better.

Ryan already has a few leads on a job. Two of the three that seem promising means we would have to move. I don't think he would be out of a job for very long so we should be ok. It's a good thing people like him. The thing that really sucks is that we were finally getting to the point where we were paying off our debt and we were actually going to be able to save money and build up our food storage which is almost non existent. I had it all planned out. If it all went to plan then we would have our house paid off in nine years (17 years early)! All we would have left is our student loans. And I made space in the kids' closet for shelving for food storage. Looks like my plan fell through before it could even get started. It's a good thing we didn't get our tax refund just a few days earlier. It would have been gone already. So now, instead of paying off our debt and some hospital bills, we have to hold on to that money just in case he is out of a job longer than expected. Hopefully he can get a job soon so we can use the severance money to go toward our bills and actually come out ahead on the whole deal. Maybe he'll find something better. It's just not knowing that's killing us.

17 comments:

Sharon said...

Ah I hate to see you go through this. It's hard with times like these to see the good that comes from the bad, so I can only say we will keep your family in our prayers. Keep the Courage. THIS TO SHALL PASS...

Sharon said...

and... AFTER EVERY RAINSTORM IS A RAINBOW! XOXOXOX

April Hardy said...

Its such a faith building time, this is when you will lean on the Lord more than ever and he will carry you through this storm.
I am sorry for the job loss, but I remember talking to your dad when I was a teenager and it was when my dad had lost his job and your dad had said it happened to them too, when you guys were really young and he was glad it happened when you kids were small, and relatively inexpensive as opposed to having teenagers. It seems it is something everyone goes through.
Ryan has such great people skills, and experience in everything I am sure he finds something soon. You will be in our prayers. Atleast you have family near by to help and lean on.
The Lord knows what he is doing, and knows why you guys are having to go through this. He must has something better in store for you!

the Getschers said...

So sorry guys. That really stinks. Mark has been out of a job for about 3 months now too. Really stinks...

Price Family said...

Your in my prayers. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Cindy Ardis said...

Sorry you guys are having some bad luck right now. My gosh, thank goodness no one was hurt when your house got hit. Are you able to live in it with all the damage and stuff. Everyone is worried about their job safety you are not alone. I know its scary, we've been through it a couple of times, but more blessings and better jobs have resulted in it. We love you.
uncle Faren and aunt Cindy

Cindy Ardis said...

I just looked at your pictures of the truck and house, so I see you are living there still. Good, I expected to see a hole in the house. That's weird and fortunate he just dented it, but looks like you found more damage, that's good keep looking before you settle.

Maxwells said...

I am so sorry things are so tough right now. I hope things get better for you guys. Where would you guys be looking to move?

Kerrie said...

One good possibility is the east coast. He was offered a job as he was walking out of the plant. Depending on the pay we might jump on it b/c the schools are so much better out there by far. But hopefully they can train him here so we can get our house fixed up before he leaves. We can't leave it the way it is, especially now.

Misty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

It is my dream to live on the East Coast. :) Hopefully, there will be a silver lining to all of this. I am thinking prosperous thoughts for you guys and hoping for lots of interviews.

-Misty

Christy said...

Wow! I'm surprised to hear you might leave Louisiana. But good luck! I wouldn't mind moving out east for the schools either.

Terrence and Laura said...

I'm going to the temple on Tuesday and I'll be sure to include you in my prayers. I am so sorry. I'm crying right now. I wish I were there to help. Keep me updated on things. What a blessing that sweet Kaelyn is!

Parkinson Family said...

sorry to hear that, im sure it will all work out though!

Anonymous said...

where on the east coast?
Tina

Kerrie said...

Tina,
Don't know. They said they anywhere from Florida to Maine.

Ingrid said...

Florida??? Move here!!! I hope things get better soon. I will be thinking of you and your family...